Monday, October 22, 2007

"I know what I know and I write it" - Octavio Paz

The chapter focuses on teachers and their understanding of cognition. Cognition is defined as knowing (87). The chapter points out two ways of gaining knowledge, one through awareness, seeing or perception, secondly through judgment, think, or conception. The chapter also focused on the creativity students put into their work and how they go about generating their ideas. The question asks how do we think students' work differs from discipline discipline, both formally and a mode of inquiry.
Personally, when writing, it takes a lot for me to get my ideas together, organize them, and them have them making sense of one another. Writing has not been my favorite task, however it has become something that I quite enjoy without the many errors. As for the discipline of the writing, it varies on what you are particularly writing about. If I am writing a paragraph about my dog, surely I would not be so precise as for when I am writing an entire research paper. The research paper would be more developed, and include several important details to explain my thesis.
Typical writings for students may or may not help them. Depending on what a student may be writing about can determine whether or not it will or will not help them. Students need feedback in general to understand if their writing is getting better or not. In other fields, writing can definitely help out, if the student has an understanding of how to write. For example if a student is focusing on a communication project, the way they write has nothing to do with the way they speak about their project. This is the same in mathematics, the way a student print their notes, has nothing to do with the way they solve it. Writing may only be a big thing if the student is focusing on research papers for those particular classes.
Relating back to the chapter about knowledge, students must have some sort of knowledge about their writing. Writing is a process that takes time and effect. I can honestly say that it has been a process for myself.

No comments: