Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Research Presentation

After working on this research project for some time now, I have come across several solutions to preventing plagiarism in the classroom. If you read my blog, "plagiarism: is it a victimless crime," you may have notice that I was focused on whether students should be at fault for plagiarizing. With extensive research, I have rephrase my topic and now it deals with Preventions for Plagiarism In the Classroom: who participates in it and why, and what should be done about it. For my presentation, I plan to show a clipping of a student who felt overwhelmed with school, work and his personal life that he did not have time to complete his work for school. This resulted in plagiarism. The clip will be effective because it will demonstrate who participates in it and why.

In class about two weeks ago now, Professor Fornes presented a paper that had several pieces of writing on it. The class was responsible for identifying whether or not the student plagiarize or not. This was an activity that I was interesting in because it definitely related to my topic. I plan to do a similar activity,however ask questions instead of handing out a paper. I know that you have not seen the clip yet, but these are the type of questions that will be asked after showing the clip:
1. If a student came to you with this excuse, how would you react?
2. What type of suggestions would you offer to prevent this from happening.
3. Would your response be different if this was a high school student.
As far as the annotated bib., most of those sources will be included in the final paper. There are six sources that I listed in my bib., however I came across several others that were quite interesting to also use. So give me some feedback, what would you be interesting in looking forward to in my presentation? What do you want to hear about? How can I make sure that this presentation is useful?
Hoping for some good feedback....

4 comments:

Leslie WAlters said...

I think it might be interesting to know what kind of differences there are in different school systems pertaining to the definition and the disciplining of plagiarism. I have always thought of it as strictly an intentional thing. Of course your clip sounds like it was intentional, so....
along the same lines, I am curious about how much freedom high school teachers have in disciplining students who do plagarize.

Tim Costanzo said...

I like how you are going to look at prevention of plagerism. Do you think with all the cloudy areas of plagerism that plagerism will ever be able to be completley avoided? I hope you found this clip online or in a video and its not going to be homemade hahaha! Look to see if the majority of people plagerising actually mean to plagerise. Or if that can be detrected at all. Does this problem lie with the teachers or the students?

Karl Fornes said...

You asked whether or not my "punishment" would be different if it were a high school student. Is the guy in the film clip a college student? What if the person was not a student at all? What if the person committed plagiarism as part of a job-related assignment? What do you think his punishment would be then?

Kristen A. said...

I usually would imagine, or hope, that plagiarism is usually accidental... that the student didn't realize they were using similar words of another. I'm wondering: do you see a difference between intentional and unintentional? Do many schools or universities?