Monday, November 19, 2007

You Don't Speak English???

WIth the increase of Native students, there will be many different languages spoken in the classroom. Honestly, I know that I would not be able to handle a student who is not familiar with the English language because that is initatily my first language and the one that I am learning to teach. I understand that there will be some cases where a student is transferred into the classroom and I will have no choice but to work with he or she, however under those circumstances, as a good teacher, I will attempt to learn that child's language so that he or she and I can work on require assignments for class.
In class, Professor Fornes asked would I grade a student who is not familiar with the English language differnt from one that is, I answered yes, because obivously he or she would not be as ahead as a student who learned English from birth. English is such a hard language to comprehend, grasp and retain especially for a Native student who is use to not worrying about grammar or style. Personally, it would be a difficult task for me to handle, especially if it was my first time dealing with such a case.

No comments: